|An article on this subject was deleted on Wikipedia: |
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Anthony Chandos Russell
Anthony Russell (born 1961) is a British cultural historian, social commentator and artist.
He is the son of the artist Rodney Fryer Russell and his third wife, the Argentine Doreen Gildea-Keereweer. He attended the independent (Bryanston School) and read art history at Oxford Polytechnic (later to become Oxford Brookes University), before joining Lawrence Fine Art in the West Country as an auctioneer. In London he was assistant manager at William Tillman Ltd (reproduction furniture) in St James's StreetTemplate:Citation needed and spent six years as a consultant with Luke Hughes, advising various Anglican churches on interior furnishing.
Russell has recently become interested in activism, and has joined the Burma Campaign UK, Rights and Humanity and other organisations. He is also the author of 'Evolving the Spirit - From Democracy to Peace', which was praised by Aung San Suu Kyi as meaning a great deal to her.
Career and involvementsEdit
Russell is founder and chairman of PASAS, a West Country anti-traffic campaign, run with Oliver Letwin MP.Template:Citation needed He was once (but is no longer) a trustee of the Summer Music Society of Dorset, bringing world-class musicians to Dorset. In 2007, he created a personal website, 'The Chandos', which is committed to 'cooperation, understanding and peace' through the arts and describes his hobbies and interests. It has recently been renamed to 'The Chandos Foundation'.
Russell spent several years leading American university students on bespoke tours of Europe and now lectures for National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) on a regular basis.Template:Ref In 2010, he wrote the chapter 'The Appropriate Alternative to Fixed Seating' for The Ecclesiological Society's publication on church seating ('Pew, Bench and Chairs').
Russell works at The British Museum - hosting outreach events and visiting lecturers, and his own lecture program includes presentations to the Church of England,Template:Ref architects, national societies, schools and charities. He has traveled much of the world undertaking research, which included voluntary work in Zimbabwe (where he interviewed Didymus Mutasa) and Argentina.Template:Citation needed In Australia, Russell contributed to the book 'The Ultimate Australian Adventure Guide' (1995).
He is the author of 'Evolving the Spirit - From Democracy to Peace', on the cover page of which there are comments by John Simpson, the conservationist Chris Darwin and the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague.Template:Verify credibility
Books and articles;
- 'The Spirit Evolution - From Democracy to Peace' (2011)
- 'The Ultimate Australian Adventure Guide' (contributor) (1995)
- 'Pews, Benches & Chairs - The Appropriate Alternative to Fixed Seating' (Contributor) (2011)
- 'Flexibility since the Battle of Ambridge.' Article for Church Building magazine (2007)
- 'The Finest Seating to Compliment the Finest Lighting.' Article for Church Building magazine (2006)
- Venice, Canaletto & his Rivals
- Blenheim Palace, The Agony & the Ecstasy
- Who Was Tutankhamun? The Boy King Behind the Greatest Treasures Ever Found
- The Power & Glory of Our Country Houses, Their Evolution & Changing Role
- The Mystery of Holbein's Ambassadors
- English Furniture Design Today - The Great Commissions of Luke Hughes
- Vincent Van Gogh, Madman or Genius
- The Virgins of the National Gallery London
- Beauty & the Beast, Our Parish Churches & the Modern Predicament
- Edward Seago, Landscape Perfectionist and Royal Favourite
- 1.Template:Note1st lecture of 2012; 
- 2.Template:NoteRegular delegate at the Church of England's annual DAC conference (not to be confused with the bishop of the same name)
- 3.Template:NoteRussell helped to draft the 'Call to Action' of Rights and Humanity following the global Leaders Congress (2011)
- 4.Template:NoteAmenities group, protecting the Brockley Conservation Area (South East London)
- 5.Template:NoteRussell is anti-war but not 'anti soldier' (See Facebook support of SSAFA)
- 6.Template:NoteInvited to contribute to the Global Leader's Congress follow up (2011)
- ↑ "Recent news". Luke Hughes and Company. October 2007. http://www.lukehughes.co.uk/index.php/about/news/anthony_russell_ecclesiastical_consultant/.
- ↑ Dialogue with Oliver Letwin MP & the Foreign Secretary William Hague.Template:Citation needed Involvement in St Paul's Cathedral demonstration; www.evolvingthespirit.com/recentevents.htmTemplate:Dead link
- ↑ Video message of support for Russell's book 'Evolving the Spirit' from Aung San Suu Kyi
- ↑ 'Evolving the Peace; www.dreamstarbooks.com ISBN 978-1-904166-39-9
- ↑ London launch of the book was at St Ethelburga's in the City (25th Jan 2012). Images from the launch
- ↑ The Chandos; http://www.thechandos.com
- ↑ 'Pews Benches and Chairs, Part 4 'Considering Change'; www.ecclsoc.org/pewsbookcontents.pdf
- ↑ Talk to Bryanston School; www.bryanston.co.uk/ftpimages/363/download/RoY%2008%20to%2009%20Mkiii%5B1%5D.pdf
- ↑ The Ultimate Australian Adventure Guide, ed. C Darwin and J. Amy, Sydney, pp. 391-4
- ↑ Letter send to Oliver Letwin (16/7/11)