Bat World Sanctuary was founded in 1994 as a non-profit rescue-rehabilitation center and sanctuary operated exclusively for Wikipedia:bats. Based in North Texas, the organization is "dedicated to educating the community about bats to dispel myths and encourage conservation as well as providing rescue efforts for the species." It is one of several bat conservation organizations active in the United States.
The organization is volunteer staffed and donation supported. The sanctuary provides medical treatment for hundreds of injured and orphaned bats each year, with 80% saved and returned to the wild. Its objectives are;
- Rescue, rehabilitation and release of injured and orphaned bats.
- To provide a permanent sanctuary for non-releasable bats.
- Promoting the humane treatment of captive bats in zoo and research environments.
- Protecting wild bat colonies from abuse and destruction.
- Promoting bat conservation through education.
- Increasing public awareness about safety issues regarding the inappropriate handling of bats.
Observations by volunteers for Bat World Sanctuary and Wikipedia:Bat Conservation International led researchers at the Wikipedia:University of Texas at Austin and Wikipedia:Texas A&M to conclude "that male bats create songs to attract females and warn other males to stay away."
Bat World Sanctuary has been recognized as the world leader in bat rehabilitation for the past decade. Each year they rescue thousands of bats that might otherwise die and engage in activism to end the abuse and destruction of bats. Lifetime sanctuary is given to non-releasable bats, including those that are orphaned, injured, confiscated from the illegal pet trade and retired from zoos and research facilities. Bat World Sanctuary is a Wikipedia:501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
|This article contains content from Wikipedia|
An article on this subject has been nominated
for deletion at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
Bat World Sanctuary
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
- ↑ Where the Bats Are Wikipedia:Dallas Morning News Wikipedia:Dallas, Texas July 28, 2002
- ↑ McKinney Performing Arts Center presenting Stellaluna Pegasus News Wikipedia:Dallas, Texas January 16, 2009
- ↑ Fredrick Kunkle Don't turn a blind eye to bats, rescuer says: Unless you see their faces, 'you'll never know they're cute' Wikipedia:San Francisco Chronicle Wikipedia:San Francisco August 12, 2007
- ↑ Vimal Patel, Males bats' mating songs could be valuable for research Wikipedia:Bryan College Station Eagle Wikipedia:Bryan-College Station, Texas August 29, 2009
- ↑ Includes content from Wikipedia. Nominated for deletion on Wikipedia at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Bat World Sanctuary