Interest in cultures outside the home culture had been a feature of the ruling classes during the imperial age, but awareness of the world as a whole was imparted to other classes and greatly expanded during and after the Second World War.
Beatniks and other travellers, returning with garb from faraway lands, led the movement to adopt new fashions by example.
In the case of hippie fashions, there was a combination of the search for the alternative and non-mainstream, and a newfound love of culture and art from outside the home culture
Music fusion is a newer example of this art.
Mainstream culture continues the trend of appropriation, albeit without the devotion to the culture behind the images, and for something to sell.
- Main article: Art Nouveau and hippie art
- Art Nouveau was most prevalent among mainstream artists during 1890–1910, but it enjoyed a distinct resurgence in the hippy era of the 1960s and 1970s. The hippy movement's use of Art Nouveau design was often fairly conventional, although the subject matter was not always so.
- Main article: Paisley
- Paisley became particularly popular during the Summer of Love (WP), heavily identified with psychedelic (WP) style and the interest in Indian spirituality and culture brought about by the pilgrimage of The Beatles to India in 1968
- Main article: Fringe
- Hippies picked up the American Indian design for garments. Rawhide fringe on mocassins (WP), short jackets, long coats... eventually, garments that were not even of American Indian design
- Main article: Rainbow Family
- Interculturalism (WP) is often evident in the Rainbow Tribes' adoption of tipi (WP) tents, and the beliefs, traditions, and prophecies of Indian tribes, the use of the word 'Babylon' in the same frame of reference as Rastafarianism, etc.
- Main article: Beat Generation: Influences and influence
- The original "Beat Generation" writers met in New York. Later, the central figures (with the exception of Burroughs) ended up together in San Francisco in the mid-1950s where they met and became friends with figures associated with the San Francisco Renaissance. In the 1960s, elements of the expanding Beat movement were incorporated into the Hippy counterculture
- In the USA the cuisine of Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Africa rose in popularity concurrent with, if not moved significantly and specifically, by the larger hippie culture. Vegetarianism was almost unheard of before the 1960s. "Health food", organic produce, labelling requirements on food packaging, etc etc, all originated or were expanded during the 60s and 70s
- Gaming: Although JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit book was published way back in 1937, and the Lord of the Rings in 1949, their popularity spiked during the 1960s. Middle Earth's popularity, in particular, and resulting rise in popularity of Fantasy literature and Fantasy art in general, led inexorably to the creation of the Dungeons and Dragons gaming system, without which there would have been little evidence of profitability for investors to risk funding the massive and influential gaming industry of today.
The rest Edit
What is known as the Left in politics today, and what is therefore seen as drifting to the right, is better understood as the influence or outright creation of Hippie Movement or ex-Hippies, and the drift away from it, as just the reaction against the movement, and increase of the population that has only had indirect influence from the movement.