|This article contains content from Wikipedia|
An article on this subject has been nominated
for deletion at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
List of cultural icons of the United Kingdom
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
Symbols of the United Kingdom are mostly interchangeable with symbols of Britain. Theoretically this page could be called British Cultural Icons. However unlike symbols of just England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales they are shared by other parts of the United Kingdom or were founded or invented after the British Act of Union 1707 or before the creation of England (hence the inclusion of Stonehenge). At a stretch they could be things that were created, invented or born before the Act of Union but after the Union of Crowns in 1603. This is a contentious subject especially in our post-devolutionary times.
Icons of the United Kingdom include:
1. The Pound Sterling 
3. The red telephone box
4. The red post pillar box.
5. The red Routemaster double decker bus.
6. The black London Hackney Carriage taxi.
7. Rolls Royce Motor Cars 
11. Windsor Castle
12. Big Ben
14. The Angel of the North sculpture.
15. Winston Churchill 
17. The British Bulldog 
18. The Union Flag
19. Cup of tea (drinking habits)
20. Spitfire (World War Two plane)
21. The hedgehog - recently voted the national animal.
22. James Bond
23. Sherlock Holmes
24. Fish and Chips
25. Balti (food)
26. Bangers and Mash
27. The Mini
28. The Beatles
29. Team GB
8. The History of Britannia http://blog.royalmint.com/the-history-of-britannia/
13. Britain from Above http://www.bbc.co.uk/britainfromabove/stories/photography/icons.shtml
14. British icons bookends http://www.susanbradley.co.uk/html/products/products_angelofnorthbookend.html
17. British Icons top 20 http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/heritage/whisky-and-kilts-bottom-of-british-icons-top-20-1-2869567
20. Haynes British Icons http://www.haynes.co.uk/british-icons/
21. Hedgehog wins UK natural emblem poll http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jul/31/hedgehog-uk-natural-emblem