|This article may contain material from Wikipedia|
An article on this subject has been redirected
to another page on WP:
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on Wikipedia may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
Watermelon steak Edit
|This article contains content from Wikipedia|
An article on this subject has been nominated
for deletion at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
Watermelon steaks are steak shaped pieces of watermelon, often prepared by grilling. The steaks can also be cooked by pan frying, by baking, or by marination followed by roasting. Depending on the method used, cooking can take from a few minutes to over two hours.  
Some who have tried it compare its texture to that of seared meat, while others claim it is unique in its taste and texture. It is called "watermelon steak" due to its appearance and texture.
If the steak are baked, a raw fish like texture can result.  When well cooked, most of the fruit's water evaporates. This concentrates flavor and texture, yet still leaves the steak tender and juicy, "kind of like a fillet steak" . 
Cook books sometimes suggest watermelon steak as a meat substitute for vegetarians. Some recipes involve serving the steaks uncooked; once the raw watermelon is cut into steak like slices, it can be garnished with various condiments or simply served together with salad.  
"In some fashion that I don't understand, the process makes it (the watermelon) lose its granularity, so that it looks and for a moment even chews a little like seared raw tuna, which it resembles. The flavor isn't sweet, although it isn't meaty either, but enough of the browning comes through to make it a little like a piece of meat, and lots of fun..."
- ↑ Grilled watermelon steak: It's what's for dinner, Today (NBC program), July 29, 2008
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Fire It Up: 400 Recipes for Grilling Everything, Chronicle books, 2011, p345
- ↑ "Baked Watermelon Steak Recipe and Method- Raw Fish/Sashimi Replacement for Sushi". pennilessparenting.com. 02 Novemeber 2012. http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2012/11/baked-watermelon-steak-recipe-and.html. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- ↑ Mark Bittman , How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian, John Wiley & Sons, 2007, "Grilled Watermelon Steak",
- ↑ Top Chef The Cookbook , Chronicle books, 2008, p74 "Watermelon steak, Tomato Salad, and Watermelon Refresher",
- ↑ Template:Cite news
- ↑ The Chef, 51 Lincoln, retrieved July 18, 2014.
- ↑ "Watermelon steak", The Boston Globe, August 8, 2007.
- ↑ Food & Drink | Metropolitan Club