|This article contains content from Wikipedia|
An article on this subject has been nominated
for deletion at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
Tamer Shaaban (born November 2, 1988 in Buffalo, New York) is an Egyptian American filmmaker, writer, and actor. On January 25, 2011, he released a video montage onto the Internet showing the Egyptian people’s frustrations with the then-regime that sparked the revolution. His first film, blocked in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, The United Arab Emirates, and Jordan, managed to receive over 2 million views. It was featured in The Huffington Post, went viral on Reddit, YouTube (WP), and Facebook (WP), shown 1.2 million times by the end of January on YouTube and shared more than 150,000 times on Facebook. He was named one of the "25 Most influential and powerful young people in the world" by YSA which was announced in the Huffington Post .
Shaaban's movies have received awards at Wikipedia:Atlanta's Wikipedia:Campus MovieFest. Streetcorners won Best Drama at Wikipedia:Georgia Tech and continued to the South Regional Grand Finale in 2009. The Whispers of Shaitan won Best Picture at Georgia Tech, was selected to screen at the Atlanta Film festival, and was selected to screen at the Wikipedia:Cannes Film Festival. The film was also shared on Sami Yusuf’s blog to help spread the message of the film.
His goal is to create films that can show life with more color, and he says that his life goal is to bridge the gap between the East and West believing that his films help catalyze the process.
Videos and other work Edit
Shaaban spoke on CBC about his film, its role, and the uprising against former President Wikipedia:Hosni Mubarak at the end of January of that year. His second video shows students from different nationalities showing their support for Egypt and was released January 30, 2012. The video was featured on Wikipedia:Al-Jazeera, was analyzed on Egypt’s national television, as well as many different blogs.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Harrowing Video Montage Of Egypt Protests From The Streets Of Cairo (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. January 2011. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/29/egypt-protest-video-montage_n_815822.html. Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- ↑ "Tech student initiates global response to protests". Wikipedia:The Technique. February 2011. http://www.nique.net/focus/2011/02/11/tech-student-initiates-global-response-to-protests/. Retrieved 2011-02-11.
- ↑ "To all EGYPTIANS on reddit". reddit. February 2011. http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/f9bw9/to_all_egyptians_on_reddit/. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Behind Egypt's viral video". CBC. January 2011. http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/TV_Shows/Connect_with_Mark_Kelley/1305591601/ID=1776708968. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- ↑ "The YSA List: Honoring The 25 Most Powerful and Influential Young People". YSA. http://www.ysa.org/25/list. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- ↑ "YSA List: The 25 Most Powerful And Influential Young People In The World". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/20/the-25-most-powerful-and-_n_1440162.html. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- ↑ "Sy Post". Sami Yusuf Official. February 2011. http://www.samiyusufofficial.com/SYpost/no15/. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- ↑ "Georgia Institute of Technology 2009". Campus Movie Fest. http://www.campusmoviefest.com/festivals/113-georgia-tech. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- ↑ "Congratulations to the 2011 Georgia Tech Winners!". Campus Movie Fest. March 2011. http://www.campusmoviefest.com/festivals/231-georgia-tech. Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- ↑ "Campus MovieFest". Atlanta Film Festival. April 2011. http://atlanta.slated.com/2011/films/campusmoviefest_atlanta2011_atlanta2011. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- ↑ "The Whispers of Shaitan". Festival De Cannes. May 2011. http://www.shortfilmcorner.com/sfcfilm/filmfiche2.Aspx?id=53641759. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- ↑ "Confronting a Taboo". Sami Yusuf Official. April 2011. http://www.samiyusufofficial.com/main/archives/6336. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- ↑ "Tech student initiates global response to protests". Technique. February 2011. http://www.nique.net/focus/2011/02/11/tech-student-initiates-global-response-to-protests/. Retrieved 2011-02-11.